Years 9 – 12 Admissions
RSD is usually over-subscribed, with a waiting list for places, but we do welcome applications for places in Years 9-12. Simply fill in the application form and we will keep in contact with you and let you know if a vacancy arises.
If you do join in us in Years 9-12 we will help you to settle into life at RSD. Your Head of Year and Form Tutor will arrange for pupils in your classes to help you to find your way around and become familiar with school routines; and your subject teachers will help you to catch up on work and develop good habits for success in your studies. And of course, there are lots of extra-curricular activities to become involved in and make new friends.
As a rule of thumb, it is more likely that vacancies will arise in Year 9 and diminish a little thereafter as places are filled, so please do contact us as soon as you can. We would love to hear from you!
To apply for a place at RSD please review the eligibility criteria below and complete the online application form. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can download the form to print and then post your application to the school.
Criteria for entry to Years 9-12
A pupil will be considered for admission by the School’s Admissions Committee to Years 9-12 when:
1. Enrollment Number
2. Admission Number
4. Additional Considerations
If more applicants apply for admission to a Year Group in the School than the places available then the Admissions Committee will apply the Additional Considerations set out below.
- Pupils who have a child of the family, at the time of application, currently attending or who previously attended the school (details to be supplied); or pupils who are the eldest child in the family
- Pupils who are entitled to Free School Meals
- Pupils with a parent or guardian who is a former pupil of the Royal School Dungannon or the former Dungannon High School for Girls (name and date of attendance to be supplied)
- Pupils ranked by the initial letter of surname (and if necessary, subsequent letters), as entered on the birth certificate, in the order set out below:
E M Y K T S L Z Q O G N J A I H F V P R W D B C U X
- Children will be selected for admission on the basis of the initial letter of the surname as it appears on the birth certificate.
- Where surnames begin with the same letter, the second and, if necessary, subsequent letters will be used to establish relative priority for admission.
- Where children have the same surname, the initial letter of the first forename as it appears on the birth certificate will be used for admission.
- Where the first forenames begin with the same letter, the second and, if necessary, subsequent letters will be used to establish relative priority for admission.
- Where no priority can be established by means of this comparison the child with the shorter first forename will be prioritised for admission.
- In the event that two or more children have identical surnames and forenames then the oldest pupil shall be admitted first (established by date of birth as entered on the birth certificate).
- The School wishes to continue its tradition of accepting children from a wide catchment area, irrespective of the proximity of their homes from the School. If however, after criteria 4(i) to 4(iv) have been exhausted it becomes necessary to make a final selection, priority will be given to the child whose home is closer to the School. Distance will be measured in a straight line using an Ordnance Survey web distance measurement tool from the child’s home to the front entrance of the School’s main administrative building. The child’s home address will be verified by the school.
The School places a strong emphasis on a pupil’s willingness to participate in the broader life of the School, such as sports (including Saturday games), music, drama and a large number of clubs and societies and all those applying for admission should be willing to support the School’s ethos of active involvement in the life of the School.
If you prefer to complete the application on paper, please download the application form below and print a copy for completion.