Clubs & Societies
Life at RSD is very busy and for all the right reasons. In addition to sport, music and drama there is a good range of extra-curricular activities for RSD pupils to throw themselves into and so many do just that!
- Junior Book Club
- Junior Science Club
- Chess Club
- Scripture Union (junior and senior branches
- Computer Games Design Club
- ECO club
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme
- Debating Society
- Magazine & News Team
- Young Enterprise
- Safer School Team
- Charities Committee
In many cases these clubs and societies rely upon pupils to play the role of chair, secretary or general organiser. Clubs for juniors such as the Book Club and Computer Games Design Club are overseen and led by senior pupils while the ECO club and Young Enterprise are run almost entirely by pupils. The Safer School Team provides guidance for pupils and parents on issues such as e-safety, mental health awareness and anti-bullying.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award tests pupils as they learn to navigate their way across the mountains. Teamwork and preparation are the keys to success. The Scripture Union provides a focus for pupils’ spiritual lives and here too pupils take on much of the responsibility for organising events, including the School’s Easter Service. The Charities Committee organise numerous events and fun activities throughout the year and in the process raise thousands of pounds for good causes.
At RSD pupil-led activity is the norm and learning outside the classroom is just as much valued as formal lessons.
Extra Curricular Activities
|Before School||Lost Property # (H23, 8.25 – 8.40)||Lost Property # (H23, 8.25 – 8.40)||Lost Property # (H23, 8.25 – 8.40)|
|SU Prayer Meeting (Y8 – Y14 in K13 at 8.30)|
|Break time||School News Team (Y10-14) in H22|
|Lunch 1st sitting||Chamber Choir (Y11 – Y14)||Senior Choir (Y11 – Y14)||Chamber Choir (Y11 – Y14)||Senior Choir (Y11 – Y14)||Debating Society (alternate Fridays)|
|Junior SU (Y8 – Y10)||Fitness suite open to Y12-14 rugby players||Young Enterprise (Y13, 1.00 – 1.55)||Fitness suite open to Y12-14 rugby players||Junior Drama Group|
|Chess Club||U14 hockey Fitness||Shooting Club||U13 Rugby Skills Session 1.00 – 1.30pm|
|Fitness suite open to Y11 rugby players||Junior Drama Group||‘Safe Space’ (2 nd and 4 th Fridays.|
|Fitness suite open to Y11 rugby players|
|World Cinema Club (1.10-1.45)|
|Lunch 2 nd sitting||Chess Club||Junior Choir (Y8 – Y10)||Young Enterprise (Y13, 1.00 – 1.55)||Junior Choir (Y8 – Y10)||Band (1.20 – 1.50, Y8 – Y14)|
|Charities Committee (Y13)||Fitness suite open to Y12-14 rugby players||Book Club||Fitness suite open to Y12-14 rugby players|
|Senior SU Committee (Y11-14)||Shooting Club||Lost Property # (H23, 1.30 – 1.55)|
|Fitness suite open to Y11 rugby players||Computer Game Design Club (Y8 & Y9)||Barnardos Group (alternate Thursdays)|
|Fitness suite open to Y11 rugby players|
|After School||Senior rugby (Y12 – Y14)||U12 hockey (Y8)||Senior rugby (Y12 – Y14)||Senior rugby (Y12 – Y14)||Senior SU (Y11 – Y14)|
|1st & 2nd XI hockey (Y11 – Y14)||U14 rugby (Y10)||Medallion rugby (Y11)||Senior hockey||Volleyball Club|
|DoE Silver (Y11)||U12 Rugby (Y8)||U13 hockey (Y9)|
|DoE Gold (Y13)||U14 hockey (Y10)||U13 rugby (Y9)|
|Art Support (Y11 - Y14 Art pupils)||Badminton Club (Seniors Sept – Dec, Juniors Feb – Easter)||Royal Strings (5.00pm – 6.00pm)|
|Science Club (3.45 – 4.30 for Y8)||Shooting Club|
|Netball (Y8 Sept –Oct, Y9 & 10 Nov - Dec)|
|Cross Country (Y9 – Y14 girls, Nov – Jan only)|
- The library is available before school, breaktime, lunchtime and after school (until 4.45pm) each day
- K14 (computer room) is available each day at lunchtime (and breaktime for the printing of urgent academic work)
- # Lost Property: Lost property will only be open at the above times but essential items can be claimed any day at breaktime or lunchtime (eg glasses, wallets, purses, bus passes, keys)
- The Drama Society will publish their rehearsals for cast members of the school play on a weekly basis.
- The Charities Committee will meet on Thursdays (2nd sitting) and on various days at certain times of the year to prepare for events.
- The Safer Schools Team will meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1.00pm at certain times of the year to prepare for events.